Monday 12 April 2010

Little Egret sketch 9.5"x5"


I have an exhibition later this year at the Titchfield Haven nature reserve which is very close to where i live and work and i can frequently be found there binoculars and camera at the ready watching the local waterbirds.I wanted to show some smaller works as well as some of my larger more detailed pieces as it will be the first time that a collection of my bird works have gone on display.i cannot think of a potentially more appreciative audience for my work than the hoards of birder's who descend on titchfield haven during the late summer and autumn and so i wanted to have works on display to potentially suit all pockets.This sketch was completed in one day and shows one of the most popular birds found at titchfield the little egret,i have depicted this one backlit on a sunny autumn day with loads of shadow and a lovely dark reflection.

7 comments:

Brenda said...

Looks just like a photograph! The bird is wonderful, but I cannot get over how expertly you do reflections in the water. The bird followers are going to love this one too!

Unknown said...

You are working over time chum, nice image...P

Unknown said...

brenda,thankyou,i absolutely love waterbirds and drawing the reflections in particular,which is probaby just as well living on the coast :-)
paul,thanks mate

Kelly Singleton said...

Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

thanks kelly :-)

Mighty Fine Art said...

One of my favorite birds too, beautifully captured. Great composition and the reflection is masterful. Congrats on the shortlisting to the DSWF WAY. They didn't accept my pencil work but are having one of my watercolours. Your forthcoming exhibition sounds good, I bet it will be a great success down there.

Unknown said...

hi peter and many thanks.i havnt done a solo exhibition for some time and this will be the first time ive shown my bird drawings so i'm looking forward to seeing how theyre received.congratulations back to you on the WAY comp,it's quite a thrill to get work hung in the mall :-)