Sunday 4 January 2015

New Big cat portrait underway

Happy New Year to you all,i hope everyone enjoyed a lovely festive break and the hangovers have all receded!
Back in the studio after a weeks celebrating I'm easing myself into 2015 with a cat portrait.This is a magnificent male Jaguar that I photographed whilst in the Far East last year at a Big Cat sanctuary.I'm focussing on the head and shoulders in this image as I love jaguar heads because of there extreme muscularity and I liked the rather whimsical look the cat gave me as he lounged in shade during the heat of the day.As usual ive completed the cats ears first and now moved on to add in key features and started work on the spots.each spot consists of several layers of graphite to build up the tones and try to emphasise the shine on the coat.drawing the spots is extremely time-consuming and leaves me with aching fingers at the end of each studio session from the application of much pressure to the pencils.
for any of you with a little leftover Christmas spending money burning a hole in your pocket may I remind you of my website www.clivemeredithart.com where you will find an extensive range of original works and prints including some fabulous new arrivals!
My studio/gallery is now open to visitors by appointment here in Warsash and so if you'd like to pop along just drop me a line at clivedmeredith@gmail.com to arrange a visit.

No comments: