Monday 31 March 2014

Start of a new oil painting

I'm starting to get back into full swing with my oil paintings now and this is the second piece after my new fox painting to have the underpainting stage completed.This is the first time ive dared to try a simple dark background in a painting but as this tiger piece is as much about the lighting as the cat itself I thought it might help to add a little drama.I took the original photographs that I'm using to put together this painting during my recent trip to Thailand late in the afternoon when there were lots of lovely contrasty shadows about and my task is going to be to try and pick up on the blues and purples that I saw in those shadows as well as the highlights from the bright sunshine.Its a simple enough piece but the cat was so handsome that I couldn't resist this lovely portrait.

No comments: