Wednesday 6 May 2009

new drawing started


Portrait of Kae

Together-African elephant and calf

White Tiger



Young Croc


Blackface and lamb




Over the last few days ive been busy sketching out a composition for my latest drawing,as sometimes happens what started out as a study of one bird has now grown to a largescale piece(for me at least) of three greylag geese inspired by trips to scotland and a more recent trip to slimbridge in gloucestershire where they can be viewed at very close quarters.The initial sketches have now been transferred to my prepared paper on the drawing board and today i shall start to put in the initial layers of H grade pencil.As this is going to be such a large scale piece it will take a considerable amount of time to complete and progress is likely to be slow and so unusually for me i shall be working on several drawings simultaneously in order to avoid boredom and getting bogged down.it will also allow me to keep posting things of interest here on my blog as i chop and change between images.At the moment there is very little to see on the drawing board and it is likely to take a few more days work before there is anything worth photographing and so i'm posting some past examples of my work for the benefit of those who may be new to my work.

7 comments:

Nolon Stacey said...

Ahh, I see you have first hand experience of the wool. Brilliantly executed, of course!

Do you still do human portraits? After 5 years of them, I have retired from drawing humans.

Unknown said...

hi nolon,yes i still do one or two when asked but there are so many people out there doing cheap portraits i cant compete with their prices,frankly i dont know how they can do them so cheaply and still eat!

Unknown said...

Great post. So much eye candy in one go: what a treat!
In my mind quality will win over quantity any time. Hard to believe as you say how cheaply some artists sell (not sure they eat very much...!)
Look forward to seeing the geese piece progress. Cheers :)

Unknown said...

thanks sheona,i'll post some photos once ive got enough graphite on the paper to see something.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to seeing your new work emerge. Love the tiger and the sheep, in fact I love them all.
Gayle

Unknown said...

thankyou so much gayle

Jennie Norris said...

Amazing work. Especially fond of " white tiger"! Thank you for sharing